Electricians and safety in the UK
Electricians in the UK
Correct maintenance and servicing of electrical systems can save time, money and lives. Many fires are started by faulty electrical systems. Millions of pounds a year are lost due to these fires, so it make s sense to have a program of electrical safety in all properties, commercial or residential. You need to contact a local electrician to have your wiring checked and arrange a program of works.
There are many causes of electrical fires and here are the most common:-
1. Old wiring often causes electrical fires. If a house is over 25 years old, it may not have the ability to take the increased amount of electrical appliances found in today’s homes. DVD players computers, widescreen tvs, DVD players, microwaves and perhaps even air conditioning units..
2. Extension cables can cause electrical fire if they are used wrongly. Appliances need to be plugged straight into the socket and not plugged into an extension cable for any length of time. Extension cables should only be used temporarily. If you don't have the correct type of socket for your electrical items then ask an electrician to install new ones.
3. Don't forget that light fittingss, lamps and light bulbs are another common cause of electrical problems. Installing a bulb with a power rating that is too high for the lights and light fixtures is one of the main causes of electrical fire. Just check the maximum recommended bulb wattage and never go past that wattage.
4.Wiring or extensions that go under rugs is another cause of electrical fires. Removing the earth wire from a wire so that it can be used in a two-prong electrical outlet can also cause a fire. The reason appliances have the extra prong is so they can be only used in outlets that can take the extra power that these appliances need.
5. Faulty electrical sockets and old appliances very often cause electrical fires. Fires can be started by faults in appliance cables, sockets and switches. Never use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord which can heat up flammable surfaces like clothing, curtains, and rugs and that can start a fire.
6. Putting flammable materials like cloth or paper over a lampshade. The material heats up and sets fire, often spreading straight away. Faulty lamps and light fixtures also often result in fires. Lampshade covers must be made from non-combustible materials. When they are made from cloth or paper, there is a strong possibility that they will heat up and cause a fire.
7. Space heaters are a major cause of electrical fires. Because these types of heaters are portable, many times people put them too close to flammable surfaces such as curtains, beds, clothing, chairs, couches and rugs. Electric bar heaters are particularly dangerous because the bars become so hot they will almost instantaneously ignite flammable material. Oil filled radiators are better because they diffuse heat over the entire surface of the appliance.